The MediaStorm Field Guide outlines fundamental concepts for gathering multimedia content in the field for documentary films. The guide is based on MediaStorm's years of experience shooting and producing award-winning projects.
The guide serves as a quick reference for important concepts, from picking appropriate gear, to setting up audio correctly, to shooting b-roll and backing up media.
Additionally, each chapter's most important points are conveniently repurposed into a series of checklists to make it easy to remember best practices even when on the go.
Featuring in-depth explanations of key concepts and video examples from the MediaStorm Online Training series and the MediaStorm Storytelling Workshop, the MediaStorm Field Guide is a handy companion for professionals and students alike.
1. Gear: Provides a list of essential gear to bring to the field, plus an interactive gear guide and discussion with director of photogra phy Rick Gershon about his kit.
2. Finding the Story: Discusses the keys to finding good characters.
3. The Video Interview: Explains how to visually compose the interview, set up audio and lighting equipment, and details best practices for conducting an interview.
4. B-roll: Outlines shooting techniques used to create good b-roll, including how to sequence and shoot for continuity, and tips for shooting on and off tripod.
5. Stills for Multimedia: Explains how to shoot stills for a multimedia piece, including how to shoot good portraits, details and sequences.
6. Audio: Shows the basics of capturing good audio, including avoiding common problems like plosives and detailing the importance of ambient audio.
7. Organizing for the Edit: Explains how to organize and backup media in the field.
8. Checklists: Provides checklists with key points from each chapter to make it easy to remember best practices even when on the go.
MediaStorm is an interactive design and video production studio that works with top visual storytellers, interactive designers and global organizations to create cinematic narratives that speak to the heart of the human condition.
MediaStorm's unique style of storytelling has been awarded with two Alfred I. duPont-Columbia University Awards and 15 Emmy nominations in the last six years.
Learn more about MediaStorm's online and in-person training offerings at mediastorm.com/train.